Ottawa, the vibrant capital of Canada, is not only known for its rich history and iconic landmarks but also for being a popular destination for students from around the world. With its high-end education institutions and excellent quality of life, it’s no wonder that students flock to this city. However, we understand that being a student often means being on a budget. But fret not, just because watching your pennies doesn’t mean you can’t have a fantastic time in Ottawa. Here are 10 of the best free things to do in the city that will make your time here exciting and memorable!
Top 10 Free Things to Do in Ottawa Students Love
- Parliament Hill: Unravel Canada’s political heart by visiting Parliament Hill. Stroll around the historic buildings and marvel at the impressive Gothic-style architecture. Don’t miss the Changing of the Guard ceremony during the summer months, a spectacular display of pageantry.
- National Gallery of Canada: Art enthusiasts will love exploring the National Gallery of Canada, which houses an extensive collection of Canadian and international art. From iconic Group of Seven paintings to contemporary masterpieces, the gallery offers a delightful artistic experience.
- Canadian Museum of History: Learn about Canada’s captivating past at the Canadian Museum of History. The museum showcases the country’s history and culture through engaging exhibits and artefacts that will transport you through time.
- Rideau Canal: Embrace the scenic beauty of Ottawa by taking a walk or bike ride along the historic Rideau Canal. When it freezes in winter, the canal transforms into the world’s largest ice-skating rink, providing a unique and fun-filled experience.
- ByWard Market: Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of ByWard Market, one of Canada’s oldest and largest public markets. Enjoy the bustling ambience, browse through various stalls, and perhaps treat yourself to some delicious local produce or handcrafted items.
- Major’s Hill Park: Escape the city buzz and head to Major’s Hill Park for a relaxing afternoon. This picturesque green space offers stunning views of Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River, making it an ideal spot for a picnic or a quiet moment of reflection.
- Gatineau Park: Nature lovers will appreciate the beauty of Gatineau Park, located just a short drive from downtown Ottawa. Hike through scenic trails, swim in pristine lakes, and in autumn, witness a breathtaking display of fall foliage.
- Changing of the Guard (Rideau Hall): Experience another rendition of the Changing of the Guard at Rideau Hall, the official residence of the Governor General of Canada. This tradition takes place daily during the summer and is a captivating spectacle.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride: Witness the grace and precision of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride during their summer performances. This equestrian show, a symbol of Canadian heritage, is sure to leave you impressed.
- Canadian War Museum: Pay your respects and gain insights into Canada’s military history at the Canadian War Museum. With its vast collection of artefacts and interactive exhibits, the museum offers a moving and educational experience.
Being a student in Ottawa doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the fun the city has to offer. These 10 free activities will ensure that you have a blast while creating lasting memories during your time in the capital. From cultural experiences to natural wonders, Ottawa has it all for the student explorer on a budget.
Ready to start your journey to Ottawa? Book your flights on www.travelunravel.com and get ready for an unforgettable student experience in this incredible city!