Travel and food are probably the best things in the world, and nothing compares to the happiness they bring you. But what if there was a way to double the happiness? Enter the concept of Culinary Travel, where you fly around the world with one purpose: treating your taste buds to authentic flavours right at their origin. It’s enticing, isn’t it? Well, get ready for a culinary extravaganza as we explore some of the best traditional dishes around the world. One thing is for sure, you’ll be tempted to catch a flight and devour these dishes right where they belong, in the most beautiful places rich in culture and flavour. So, let’s dive right into it!
Traditional Dishes Around the World to Relish as a Foodie Traveller
- Ramen from Japan: Originating in Japan, ramen is a soul-warming bowl of noodles, broth, and various toppings.
Why you should try it: The depth of flavours in a well-prepared bowl of ramen is unparalleled. From the rich broth to the tender noodles and the assortment of toppings, each bite is a delightful experience.
- Paella from Spain: Hailing from Spain, paella is a rice dish cooked with a variety of ingredients such as saffron, vegetables, meat, and seafood.
Why you should try it: The combination of flavours and textures in a traditional paella is truly remarkable. The saffron-infused rice, the succulent meats, and the fresh seafood create a symphony of tastes that will transport you to the vibrant streets of Spain.
- Dim Sum from China: Dim Sum is a popular Chinese cuisine that consists of a variety of bite-sized dishes, including dumplings, buns, and rolls, often served in bamboo steamers.
Why you should try it: Dim Sum offers a delightful range of flavours and textures. From the delicate dumplings filled with juicy meats or vegetables to the fluffy steamed buns with savoury fillings, each bite is a small taste of Chinese culinary mastery.
- Tacos from Mexico: A staple of Mexican cuisine, tacos are made with tortillas filled with various ingredients like grilled meat, salsa, guacamole, and cheese.
Why you should try it: Tacos offer a burst of flavours and textures in every bite. The combination of tender meat, tangy salsa, creamy guacamole, and the crunch of the tortilla creates a truly satisfying culinary experience.
- Tzatziki from Greece: Tzatziki is a traditional Greek dip made with strained yoghurt, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, and fresh herbs such as dill or mint.
Why you should try it: Tzatziki is a refreshing and flavorful condiment that perfectly complements many Greek dishes. The creamy yoghurt, combined with the cool crunch of cucumbers and the zing of garlic and herbs, creates a tangy and aromatic dip that adds a burst of Mediterranean flair to any meal.
- Sushi from Japan: Originating in Japan, sushi is a dish made with vinegared rice, fresh fish or seafood, and sometimes vegetables, wrapped in seaweed or served as bite-sized pieces.
Why you should try it: Sushi is a true art form. The delicate balance of flavours, the freshness of the ingredients, and the skilful presentation make it a must-try culinary delight.
- Pad Thai from Thailand: Pad Thai is a popular Thai stir-fried noodle dish made with rice noodles, eggs, tofu, shrimp or chicken, bean sprouts, and peanuts.
Why you should try it: Pad Thai is a harmonious blend of sweet, sour, and savoury flavours. The combination of soft noodles, crunchy peanuts, and tangy tamarind sauce creates a dish that is both comforting and addictive.
- Churrasco from Brazil: Churrasco is a popular Brazilian barbecue dish. It typically includes various cuts of beef, pork, chicken, and sausage, seasoned with salt and cooked on skewers over an open flame.
Why you should try it: The succulent and tender meats, cooked to perfection and seasoned with simple yet flavorful spices, create a true feast for meat lovers. The smoky aroma and the juicy, charred flavours make churrasco an unforgettable culinary experience that embodies the passion and love for barbecue in Brazil.
- Empanadas from Argentina: Empanadas are savoury stuffed pastries that are popular in many Latin American countries, but they are particularly renowned in Argentina. They are typically filled with a variety of ingredients, such as ground beef, cheese, vegetables, or even sweet fillings like dulce de leche.
Why you should try it: Empanadas offer a delightful combination of crispy pastry and flavorful fillings. Whether you prefer the savoury or sweet varieties, each bite brings a burst of flavour and a taste of Argentine culinary tradition.
- Biryani from India: Biryani is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is made by layering fragrant basmati rice with marinated meat (such as chicken, lamb, or shrimp), along with a blend of spices, herbs, and sometimes vegetables.
Why you should try it: Biryani is a true masterpiece of Indian cuisine, with each bite offering a burst of flavour and the perfect balance of spices. The tender meat, the fragrant rice, and the rich combination of aromatic spices create a symphony of taste that will transport you to the vibrant streets of India.
Tempted to book flights and try these dishes in their places of origin, aren’t you? You’re welcome! Embarking on a culinary travel journey allows you to not only taste these traditional dishes but also immerse yourself in the cultures that created them.
So, where to first? Book your flight on www.travelunravel.com now and let the culinary extravaganza begin!