Travel Therapy – 10 Ways Travelling Improves Mental Health
“Once a year, go someplace you have never been before.” — Dalai Lama.
A routine may keep your life on track, but it can be mentally draining overtime. Monotony slows the senses, and the stresses of everyday life take a toll on mental health, unlike anything else. Breaking the routine every once in a while keeps your mind upbeat. And travelling is a great way to do it. More so, Travel Therapy. A much-needed dopamine and serotonin boost!
When a person is stressed, frustrated or overwhelmed, their first thought is getting away from where they are at the time- physically, mentally or emotionally. Travelling, a change of place, circumstance and scenery can be of great help. It not only replenishes your mental health but also enhances it.
There is more to life than to-do lists and deadlines that leave you stressed and exhausted. So, remind yourself to take time off and travel every once in a while, for the sake of your mental health. Here are a few more reasons why:
- De-stress: It gives you a much-needed break from routine and daily stressors.
- A Dose of Happiness: Travelling to new destinations and experiencing new things gives you a serotonin and dopamine boost.
- Befriend yourself: Travelling allows you to introspect, get a better sense of self, and increase your self-worth.
- Creative Boost: Exposure to new experiences and cultures can broaden your mind, stimulate creativity and give way to new ideas.
- Get Mentally Flexible: Travelling to new places improves mental flexibility and adaptability.
- Embrace Mindfulness: Travelling allows you to be mindful and embrace the present as you live in the moment.
- Build Resilience: You pick up life and problem-solving skills as you travel, building resilience and toughing up.
- Get Social: It boosts your social life by interacting and engaging with new people and building connections.
- Heightened Senses: Travelling boosts mental simulation to new sounds, sights, and experiences.
- An Enriching Experience: Travelling is a wholesome enriching experience that promotes overall well-being through physical activity, broadened perspective and healing.
Travelling allows you to rest and reset your mind, which is sometimes overdue. It lets you take a step back and let loose. You come back as an energized person with an optimistic mindset, ready to take on the challenges of routine life until your next trip.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, plan a trip, book a flight on Travel Unravel and take a mental health travel break!