Imagine Athens in all its beauty. A landscape that looks like a painting by artists of old times, aesthetic cafes with a heartwarming vibe, food that tastes like heaven and people who feel like home. No wonder why it is known as The City of Gods and Legends, a city steeped in history, culture and art.
Athens is one of the World’s oldest cities, with a history spanning 3,400 years. It is a place that has withstood the test of time, and oh, how beautifully. It is a place you ought to be at least once in your lifetime.
What makes Athens so wonderful?
The Ancient Touch : Athens is home to some of the World’s most beautiful and significant ancient sites, including the Acropolis, Parthenon, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
Greek Cuisine : The Mediterranean flavours and fresh ingredients you’ll get to taste in Athens will leave you famished for more. You can dine at fine restaurants where you can try local delicacies, such as souvlaki, gyros and Greek salads.
Cultural Influence : Athens is a city steeped in culture, with beautiful museums and galleries showcasing ancient and modern art, including the National Archaeological Museum and the Acropolis Museum.
Beach Life : Athens is a short drive away from the stunning coastline of the Saronic Gulf, where beach lovers can unwind for hours on end and soak in the sunshine and mesmerizing views.
The Lively Nights : Athens has a vibrant nightlife scene, which makes it as much of an ideal place for night owls as early birds. The bars, clubs, and live music venues will ensure you have the night(s) of your life.
The Mediterranean Weather : Athens has a Mediterranean climate, with hot and happening summers and mild and pleasant winters. You can visit any time of the year and have a gala in Athens.
Souvenir Shopping : Athens has beautiful traditional markets where you can buy souvenirs to take back home for your friends and family. The souvenirs are so pretty; you might even like to keep a few for yourself.
Beautiful Inside Out : The architecture of Athens is beautiful beyond belief. Each building reflects its rich old history yet is a subtle reminder of its new and young heart.
Pocket-Friendly Paradise : Athens is an affordable city to travel to compared to many other European cities. It is a budget-friendly destination where you can make memories without spending too much money.
Friendly Faces : Greek people are known for their hospitality; the friendly faces welcoming you with a smile are the epitome of it. You’ll feel at home.
10 Things to have on your Athens Itinerary
- Visiting the Acropolis, home to the Parthenon, the Temple of Athena Nike, and the Erechtheion.
- Exploring the Ancient Agora, the heart of ancient Athens, with ruins of buildings, like the Odeon of Agrippa.
- Visiting the National Archaeological Museum to look back at the Glorious Past of Ancient Greece.
- Strolling through Plaka, the oldest and one of the most aesthetic neighbourhoods in Athens.
- Watching the changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in front of the Greek Parliament.
- Exploring the Monastir Aki Flea Market to shop locally and get your hands on pretty little souvenirs.
- Taking a day trip to the Temple of Poseidon to enjoy scenic views of the Saronic Gulf.
- Visiting the Panathenaic Stadium, where the first modern Olympic Games took place.
- Tasting the cuisine at a local restaurant to treat your taste buds with exquisite delicacies.
- Enjoying the Athenian Nightlife; enjoy live music, theatre, and dance performances.
Best Time to Visit Athens
The best time to visit Athens largely depends on personal preference, as the city has something to offer all year round. However, the most popular time to visit Athens is during the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) seasons. During the spring, the weather is mild, and the city is blooming with colourful flowers and trees, making it an excellent time for outdoor activities and sightseeing. The weather is still pleasant and mild in Autumn, making it another great time to visit.
Find Cheap Flights to Athens with Travel Unravel
Now that you know what makes Athens so wonderful and what to do while there, are you ready to browse flights to Athens? Visit www.travelunravel.com to find, compare and book cheap flights to Athens now!